Thursday, August 12, 2004

Who stole my free speech??

They're trying to ban Soldier's blogs over here in Iraq.
It's funny, we're the one's fighting for freedom and democracy, trying to ensure the basic right of free speech for people around the world, yet we are being denied this very right... funny, or sad...
At any rate, it sucks.
I understand trying to protect the security of our troops by not revealing compromising information, I understand that too well, it's my job. But if they take away this right of ours completely, they've gone beyond protecting the troops, to limiting our speech.
I vote for education, put out a memo, tell the commanders, inform the troops of what they can and cannot say. and then, if they violate that, knowing the rules, shut their blog down. But don't go after everyone.
I don't think this is about security anyway, I think it's more about the Army's image. They see something un-positive written about the way things are going here and they jump all over it. People deserve to know the truth, and if we can't print it, who can?

7 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

What I wanted to say was Wo-Man, don't you realise you're supposed to have lost the ability to think! Well done for keeping your own mind. Can't blame the army for wanting to delete soldiers' blogs. Isn't the internet wonderful - so democractic, uncontrollable and totally confusing to the military mind.

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started reading your blog and it's like watching a train wreck. I don't want to know anymore about what's going on over there because it makes me feel like shit that you all are out there, and that things have gotten so fucked. The problem is that I can't stop reading, my brother was over there with the 101st and I quit watching the news because the more you watch the more you worry. I found FEAR AND LOATHING IN IRAQ and I worried even more. Now that he's back home and a little safer that worrying hasn't stopped. I worry about you and everyone else that's out there and if I could stop reading these blogs I know I would be much better off emotionally, but I can't. So you keep writing and I'll keep reading and praying that you make it home soon, and safe.

Vi

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Najma said...

Hi soldier,
I don't know. May be they came to give us freedom, and ended up with taking your freedom from you.
I sometimes think of those countries who are not allowing Muslim women to wear hijab coz they think she's been forced to wear it by her parents (They wanted to give her freedom). But what they really did, was taking the freedom from her by not allowing her to wear something she wants to wear. It's not the same as your situation, but I thought it's related somehow.
Be good, and take care

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Rainey said...

Hi. I've just discovered your blog while I was trolling this morning. I'm so *glad* to have discovered it.

I am a mom comfortably situated in Los Angeles (tho I've got an 18yo son and a 23yo daughter who may be called to the draft soon and this doesn't make me any too "comfortable") listening to the news and the government telling me "what's going on." I no longer believe either one of them and yet I have no other source of information at this critical time when we need to make a decision about who continues to lead the government.

Besides your blog, I am currently reading another written by an Iraqui. Is he representative of Iraquis? Are you representative of the brave young people who have travelled so far to honor and protect our way of life? I have no way of knowing. But you're both flesh and blood people not cold-blooded agents of the power brokers with an agenda to sell us. I'm putting my money on you guys and lapping up any shread of real information I can get.

It makes me sick to hear that you're concerned that you won't be allowed to speak freely. Did you know that the mom of an American soldier killed in Iraq was recently arrested at a Laura Bush rally because she was "disruptive"? She was wearing a T-shirt with her son's picture and asking Laura address the lives that are being lost. If giving her son's life doesn't entitle her to ask for the truth, then I don't know what does!

Anyway, I want you to know that there's one more person reading what your experiences and your opinions are. Keep safe and keep writing because, as the "Security Moms" become more important in this election, I can't help thinking that they better get fearless themselves and accept the truth that the world has become more dangerous and it doesn't get less so because of Bush's "YeeHah!" foreign policy. These moms are going to have to get tough and get brave themselves and be ready to face the consequences here before they send someone else's son or daughter into danger so far away.

Meanwhile, I hope you will soon come home to your family.

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

canada job search site web

 

Post a Comment

<< Home